Books and Chapters
A. Books and monographs:
A-1 Authored Books:
- L.-S. Fan, “Chemical Looping Partial Oxidation: Gasification, Reforming and Chemical Syntheses,” Cambridge University Press, (2017).
- “Chemical Looping Systems for Fossil Energy Conversion Systems” L. S. Fan in cooperation with his research group members Fanxing Li, Shwetha Ramkumar, Luis Vargas, Alissa Park, Puneet Gupta, Mahesh Iyer, Liang Tseng, and Ray Kim, AIChE / Wiley publication (August 20, 2010).
- “Active Chemistry”, textbook for high schools, as Team Leader/Contributing Writer of NSF sponsored national high school chemistry textbook writing team ( contributing authors for the team: L. S. Fan, J. Parson, D. Schuster, P. Sheets, and H. Gupta), It’s About Time Inc. publisher, (ISBN:1-58591-451-7) (2007).
- “Solution Manual for Principles of Gas-Solid Flows,” (150 pages) L. S. Fan, C. Zhu and J. Zhang, Cambridge University Press (1998).
- “Principles of Gas-Solid Flows,” a textbook (553 pages), L.-S. Fan and C. Zhu, Cambridge University Press (1998).
- “Bubble Wake Dynamics in Liquids and Liquid-Solid Suspensions,” L.S. Fan and K. Tsuchiya Butterworth Publisher, 363 pages (1990).
- “Gas-Liquid-Solid Fluidization Engineering,” L.S. Fan, Butterworth Publisher, 784 pages (1989), translated to Chinese by Z.-Q. Yu, P. Cai and Y. Jin; the Chinese edition published by Petrochemical Publishing House (1993).
A-2 Authored Monograph:
- “Sorbent Utilization Prediction Methodology - Sulfur Control in Fluidized Bed Combustors,” ANL/CEN/FE-80-10, Argonne National Laboratory Press, 484 pages, September 1980, D. Fee, W.I. Wilson, J.A. Shearer, J. Lenz, L.S. Fan, K.M. Myles and I. Johnson.
A-3 Edited Books:Edited Books:
- Special issue on Particuology, “Particulate Flows and Reaction Engineering”. Vol. 8, No. 5 (2010), with Chao Zhu.
- Special issue on Particle Technology, Journal of the Chinese Institute of Chemical Engineers, 36, No.1 ( 2005).
- Special issue of Journal of the Chinese Institute of Chemical Engineers in honor of Chi Tien, 35, No.1 ( 2004).
- Special Issue of Journal of the Chinese Institute of Chemical Engineers in honor of Dr. Norman Li, Vol. 33, No. 1 (2002).
- Special issue of Powder Technology in honor of Prof. Mooson Kwauk, Powder Technology, Volune 111, No. 1-2 (2000), edited with J-H Li.
- “The Expanding World of Chemical Engineering” 2nd Edition, with S. Furusaki and John Garside, 357 pages, Taylor and Francis, New York (2002).
- “Fluidization-9” with Ted Knowlton, Engineering Foundation publication (850 pages), (1998).
- “Developments in Fluidization and Fluid-Particle Systems” with H. Arastoopour, D. King, A.W. Weimer and W.C. Yang, AIChE Symposium Series, No. 308, Vol. 91 (1995).
- “Fluid-Particle Technology - Analysis and Applications,” Co-editor with A. Weimer, J.C. Chen, and D. King, AIChE Symposium Series, No. 301, Vol. 90 (1995).
- “Fluid-Particle Processes: Fundamentals and Applications,” Co-editor with A. Weimer, John Chen and W.C. Yang, AIChE Symposium Series, No. 296, Volume 89 (1993).
- Special issue of Chemical Engineering Science; “Gas-Liquid and Gas-Liquid-Solid Reactor Engineering,” Guest editors: L.-S. Fan, U. Ozkan, S.T. Yang and J. Chalmers, Vol. 47, No. 13/14 (647 pages), (1992).
- Festschrift issue of Journal of Chinese Institute of Chemical Engineering in honor of Professor C.C. Chen National Taiwan University, Guest Co-editor: L.-S. Fan and S.-H. Weng (November, 1991).
- “Advances in Fluidization Engineering,” editor, L.-S. Fan. AIChE Symposium Series, No. 276, Volume, 86 (1990).
- “Fluidization and Fluid-Particle Systems - Fundamentals and Application,” editor, L.-S. Fan. AIChE Symposium Series, No. 270, Volume 185 (1989).
B. Book Chapters and Journal Reviews
- “Moving Bed Fuel Reactor Process” Chapter 1 in Chemical Looping Handbook, with Andrew Tong, Mandar Kathe and Dawei Wang, edited by Ron Breault, pp. 1-31, (2017).
- "Chemical Looping Technology for Fossil Fuel Conversion with In Situ CO2 Control" Chapter 12 in Multiphase Reactor Engineering for Clean and Low-Carbon Energy Applications, with Andrew Tong, and Liang Zeng, edited by Yi Cheng, Fei Wei, Yong Jin, pp. 377-401, Wiley, (2017)
- L.-S. Fan, “Chemical Looping Partial Oxidation: Gasification, Reforming and Chemical Syntheses”, Cambridge University Press, (2017).
- "Chemical Looping Combustion and Gasification" with Elena Chung, Sam Bayham, Mandar Kathe, Andrew Tong, and Liang Zeng, in Handbook of Clean Energy Systems, edited by Jinyue Yan, Volume 3, pp. 1409-1430, Wiley, (2015).
- “Particle Characterization and Behavior” with Dawei Wang, Chapter 2 in “ Fluidized-Bed Technologies for Near-Zero Emission Combustion and Gasification”, edited by F. Scala, Woodhead publishing, pp. 42 – 76 (2013).
- "Electrical Capacitance, Electrical Resistance, and Positron Emission Tomography Techniques and Their Applications in Multi-Phase Flow Systems" with Fei Wang, Q. Marashdeh and R. Williams, Advances in Chemical Engineering V 37, pp 179-222, Chapter 5 (2009).
- “General Approaches to Reactor Design”, Chapter 12 in “Handbook of Fluidization and Fluid- Particle Systems,” with A. Jiang and F. Wei, ed. by W.-C. Yang, Marcel-Dekker, (2003).
- “Gas-Liquid-Solid Fluidization”, Chapter 20 in “Handbook of Fluidization and Fluid-Particle Systems,” with G.Q. Yang, ed. by W.-C. Yang, Marcel-Dekker, (2003).
- “Carbon Sequestration”, in “Hydrogen Fuel: Production, Transport, and Storage”, Edited by Ram B. Gupta, CRC Press: Boca Raton, with Ah-Hyung Alissa Park, and Klaus S. Lackner, Chapter 17, pp. 569-601, (2008).
- “Particle Technology”, in Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia, with A. Park and C. Zhu. John Wiley,(2008). (http://www.mrw.interscience.wiley.com/emrw/9780471238966/home)
- “3D Simulation of Gas-Liquid-Solid Fluidization using Front Tracking and Level-Set Methods,” with Y. Ge, Advances in Chemical Engineering, Volume 1, 31, pp. 1-63, (2006).
- “Carbon Dioxide Capture and Disposal: Carbon Sequestration,” ed., S. Lee, with K. S. Lackner and A. Park, Dekker Encyclopedias, Taylor & Francis, 305-315, (2006).
- “Fluidization” in “Encyclopedia of Chemical Processing,” ed., S. Lee, with A. Park, Dekker Encyclopedias, Taylor & Francis, 997-1107 (2006).
- “Advanced Coal-Based Power Generation: H2S Control,” Chapter 8 in “Advanced Technologies for Reduction of Emission from Coal Usage,” ed., S.-J. Khang and T.C. Keener, with R. Jadhav, CRC Press (in press, 2001).
- “Trace Toxins Control,” Chapter 7 in “Advanced Technologies for Reduction of Emission from Coal usage,” ed. S.-J. Khang and T.C. Keener, with P. Biswas, T.-G. Lee, R. Jadhav, H. Gupta, Y. Zhuang, and E. Hedrick, CRC Press (in press, 2001).
- “Nitrogen Oxides Control,” Chapter 4 in “Advanced Technologies for Reduction of Emission from Coal Usage,” ed. S.-J. Khang and T.C. Keener, with H. Gupta, U.S. Ozkan, D.A. Pena, P.G. Smirniotis, B.S. Uphade, and J.M. Watson, CRC Press (in press, 2001).
- “Advanced Technologies for Reduction of Emission from Coal Usage, ed. S.-J. Khang and T.C. Keener, with D.J. Bayless, R. Agnihotri, T.C. Keener, S.-J. Khang, and A. Wang, CRC press (in press, 2001).
- “Approaches toward Gas-Solid Reactor Design,” Chapter12 in “Handbook of Fluidization and Fluid-Particle Systems,” ed. by W.-C. Yang, Marcel-Dekker, 309-342 (2003).
- “High Temperature Desulfurization of Flue Gas Using Calcium-Based Sorbents” Chapter 6 in “Dry Scrubbing Technologies for Flue Gas Desulfurization” with A. Ghosh-Dastidar, S.Mahuli, and R. Agnihotri, pp. 421-528, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston (1998).
- “Sorbent Transport and Dispersion” Chapter 4 in “Dry Scrubbing Technologies for Flue Gas Desulfurization” with E. Abou-Zeida, S.-C. Liang and X. Luo, pp. 255-342, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston (1998).
- “Flue Gas Desulfurization for Acid Rain Control” Chapter 1 in “Dry Scrubbing Technologies for Flue Gas Desulfurization” with J.R. Kadambi, M. Prudich, S.J. Khang and T.C. Keener, pp. 1-114, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston (1998).
- “Dense Gas-Solid Fluidization” in “Fluidization Engineering Principles,” Ed. by Y. Jin, J. Zhu, Z. Wong, and Z. Yu (in Chinese), with P. Cai, Chapter 3, 53-103, Tsing-Hua University Press, Beijing (2001).
- “Industrial Application of Three-phase Fluidization,” Chapter 9 in “Fluidization, Solids Handling, and Processing,” ed. by W.-C. Yang, Noyes Publishers, pp. 582-682 (1999).
- “Particle Image Velocimetry Characterization of the Flow Structure in Three-phase Fluidized Beds” in “Non-Invasive Monitoring of Multiphase Flows,” edited by J. Chaoki, F. Larachi, and M. Dudukovic, Elsevier, Chapter 5, pp. 495-515, (1997).
- “Multiphase Flow-Liquid/Solid” Chapter 14, in “The Handbook of Fluid Dynamics,” ed. by R.W. Johnson, with R-H. Jean, Chapter 19, pp. 19-1 C 19-25, CRC Press (1998).
- “Multiphase Flow - Gas/Solid” in “The Handbook of Fluid Dynamics,” ed. by R.W. Johnson, with C. Zhu, Chapter 18, pp. 18-1 C 18-48, CRC Press (1998).
- “Heat Transfer in Fluidized and Packed Beds,” in “Handbook of Heat Transfer,” 3rd Edition, ed. by W.M. Rohsenow, J.P. Hartnett, and Y.I. Cho, Chapter 13, pp. 13.1-13.41, McGraw-Hill (1998).
- “Bubble Flow in Liquid-Solid Suspensions,” Chapter 23, pp. 811-861 in “Particulate Two-Phase Flow,” ed. by M.C. Roco, Butterworth Publishers (1993); L.-S. Fan and K. Katsumi.
- “Advances in Gas-Liquid-Solid Fluidization,” in “Transport in Fluidized Particle Systems,” ed. by L.K. Doraiswamy and A.S. Mujumdar, Elsevier Publisher, invited book chapter, 105-170, Chapter 4 (1989); L.S. Fan, B. Kreischer and K. Katsumi.
- “Gas-Liquid-Solid Fluidization - Journal Review,” AIChE J., 31, 1-34 (1985), K. Muroyama and L.S. Fan.
- “Kinetics of Hydrolysis of Insoluble Cellulose by Cellulose,” in “Advances in Biochemical Engineering,” Springer-Verlag, Ed. by A. Fiechter, Vol. 17, 131-172, 1980, with L.T. Fan, and Y.H. Lee.